Saturday, January 25, 2014

Smiling's My Favorite

Published in the Idaho State Journal in December, 2013.

My favorite Christmas movie is “Elf”. Will Ferrell’s Buddy the Elf is sophomoric and funny. He is optimistic and sincere, and his outfit is full of cheer. He’s like me on my best days. I can feel myself smile throughout the flick.

I’m a smiley person. So much so, that I’m starting to get wrinkles around my eyes which stopped a grin in its tracks when I spotted them the other day.  A scowl swooped in. I’m going to end up with even more kinks in my forehead due to my furrowed brow if I don’t accept these lines quickly. There are days I fight getting older like a temperamental toddler who didn’t get what he wanted for Christmas.  

These fits brew every holiday season because my birthday is days before Christmas. Amidst the holiday cheer and gift giving, I take stock of how I’m aging. I guess wrinkles will come regardless, and I’m darn lucky for each birthday I have and my life of smiles.
I had a conversation with 13 year old boy named Toby and his mom Sara this week about smiling. Sara and I share a mutual friend, and when we found ourselves miles apart in Massachusetts, we met for dinner.  Sara and Toby made a five hour drive from Rochester, New York and were on their way to the National Education for Assistance Dogs Services (NEADS) headquarters. Toby is getting a service dog, a yellow lab named Sophie.  

I knew Sara had a 13 year old son, but I didn’t’ know anything about him, let alone that he could benefit from a service dog.  I arrived at the restaurant before them, and I watched from the window as Sara retrieved Toby’s walker from the back of their Subaru. While he finagled his way out of the car in the cold, dark parking lot, I was grateful the eastern winter hadn’t fully descended yet. My daily activities are exacerbated with ice and snow. I can’t imagine his.
Over our meal, Sara explained that Toby was due to be born in July but when she experienced a sudden onset of severe eclampsia during her pregnancy, he arrived in March. Toby interjected with a crooked smile, “I’m half baked!”  It took me a minute to get it. He didn’t stay in the oven long enough.

Toby has cerebral palsy (CP).  Sara further explained how every person with CP has different challenges. There are hiccups in the communication between the brain and muscles, and which muscles are involved varies for everyone. Toby’s legs don’t work the way mine do and he has an upper body lean because his back muscles didn’t fully develop. He can hold himself upright, has use of his arms and is entirely cognitive and then some. The kid is funny, curious and resilient.
Sara asked me to tell Toby about my cow suits. Although this was the first time we had met in person, Sara and I have chatted over Facebook, and she follows my cow suit adventures in my blog.

I started a blog last spring called “Cow Suit Saturday” to capture interactions and reactions when everyday life is transformed from a cow suit.
I told Toby how I got my first suit in the early 90’s. His eyebrows raised and I’m sure he thought “wow, you’re old,” but he politely listened.  I relayed how after wearing cow suits over the years, I realized people reacted and treated me so differently. People smile at me reflexively. And then I smile. Then they smile bigger and a feedback loop is engaged. This occurrence is a disaster in electrical control systems, but it’s so sweet in social interaction.  

I said to Toby, “Imagine me sitting across from you in this booth right now in a cow suit. Wouldn’t you smile at a grown woman in one-piece flannel, rubber udders and floppy ears?”  He giggled. And his mom almost whispered across the table.  “That’s why I’m excited for the dog. People will smile at him.” Sweet blond Sophie is about to reshape all of Toby’s daily interactions with people.
Toby and Sara will stay at the NEADS facility for some time while Toby bonds with his new companion and they are trained on the ins and outs of having a service dog.  The day they take Toby home happens to be my birthday when I have exciting plans for another Cow Suit Saturday. Toby and I will be across the country from each other experiencing joyful and refreshing smiles, both in ourselves and from others.

‘Tis the season of joy and as Buddy the Elf said, “I just like to smile, smiling’s my favorite.”  Careful, Toby. Your new friend is going to give you wrinkles. Enjoy them.

Sara, Toby and I after dinner in New England.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment