Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Power of Pioneers

Published in the Idaho State Journal in July 2013.

July 24 is a big day in southeast Idaho. It’s Lynda Carter’s birthday! That’s right. The actress who played Wonder Woman in the 1970’s TV show will turn 62 this year.  Yes, yes, it’s Pioneer Day, too.  For years while many of my friends in town were feverishly working on floats and a fairgrounds celebration, I scoured my house and spiffed up the yard for the annual Lynda Carter’s Birthday Party.

We are inspired by so many individual and collective pioneers: Nikola Tesla, Amelia Earhart, Brigham Young, Jackie Robinson, the Stonewall Rioters, and, for me, Lynda Carter. My personal pioneer(s) and how I celebrate Pioneer Day do not diminish what anyone else has going on. It only adds to the collective festive energy happening this week.  
Pioneers are a powerful reminder of what our history is and what we want our future to be.
I first learned of the Mormon Pioneers when my college roommate decorated her side of the dorm with watercolor depictions of the Pioneer’s journey.  As an ISU volleyball team member with early pre-season play, I was able to check into my dorm room two weeks ahead of everyone else. My roommate arrived while I was away at a tournament and she was greeted by my Guns N Roses, Wonder Woman and Ninja Turtles posters.  As shocked as I was at her décor upon my return, I had a heads up in knowing she was a Ricks College transfer. Nothing on the form prepared her for glam metal and super heroes.

I listened with interest as she told me of the Pioneers’ escape from religious persecution and how church members today will embark upon reenactments involving hand-sewn dresses and bonnets, hand carts and other nuances of the original Pioneers.

Immersing oneself in the role of their favorite pioneers must be common because when I was younger, I’d wear Wonder Woman Underroos, red knee highs and tin foil bracelets. I was constantly yelled at for jumping off the furniture and trying to rope the cat with my kite-string lasso of truth. 

Terryl Givens, a professor of literature and religion at the University of Richmond, explained in a July 1 Boston Globe article, that today’s Pioneer treks “are more a ritual of remembrance than a historical reenactment.” We endeavor to be like our pioneers because we love what they taught us.
Being a pioneer entails confronting, disputing or fleeing what the masses don’t understand.  It encompasses tackling something difficult and blazing trails whether literally or figuratively. Many pioneers embrace sacrifice and embody courage.

Lynda Carter tackled a role like no actress before.  Her Wonder Woman was the first female superhero and role model for young girls. I learned from Lynda’s wonder woman that beneath many a secret identity is someone fabulous. I learned to be honest and true to myself and always stand up for right. She was steadfast in defending the underdog. She was a feminist who didn’t hate men, but surely challenged the bad guys, and she illustrated a poise and confidence that could accomplish anything. 
People often name their kids and pets after influential pioneers. I’ve met a number of Brighams who go by Brig.  I have met dogs named Darwin and Einstein.  A friend of mine who flies small planes and designs aviation parts named his daughter Amelia, and throughout the 90’s lesbians all over the country named their cats and dogs Amy and Emily after the pioneering folk duo the Indigo Girls.

A decade ago, I wanted to name my golden retriever Lynda Carter. My partner at the time knew she had to gingerly navigate this discussion.
“You have to imagine yourself reaching for the paper in the morning and having Lynda Carter bolt out the front door. Are you prepared to stand in your front yard in your pajamas with your bed-head hair all askew shouting, ‘Lynda Carter! Come here, Girl! Lynda Carter?’” Nope. I was not prepared to do that.  Maybe my next turtle will be so lucky.

I am, however, prepared to give a shout out for a Happy Pioneer Day and Happy Birthday, Lynda Carter!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment