Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Steve and the Magic Binki

If you listen closely, you can hear whines and groans throughout the nation as summer vacation draws to a close and the first day of school looms.  I’m writing this week from the Oregon Coast on an end of summer trip with a friend and her three kids. The long hours in the car called for the “binki.”

I learned about the binki on a camping trip years ago with 17 of my closest friends. The weekend rules were simple.  Chip in money for food. Take a turn cooking and cleaning up.  Have fun. No whining. If you whined, you had to wear a pacifier on a string until you caught someone else whining. 

Remembering the magic of that binki, I procured one for our Oregon trip. The 14 year old girl made it the entire first day including nine and a half hours in the car without a single whine. She has two wriggly, squirrelly, and gross (cute) little brothers and not a whiney peep. The binki is magic.

The binki comes with rules. No poking or taunting anyone to rid yourself of the binki. You may state that you are cold or hungry or that a sibling is bothering you, but if your tone is questionable, the group will vote. The driver (me) may whine or curse freely from behind the wheel due to the insensitivity or ignorance of other drivers.  You do not have to wear it while swimming or sleeping, but if you end the day with it, you begin the next with it. If you refuse to wear the binki or throw a tantrum when caught whining, you lose access to all electronic devices for the remainder of the day.

I told the kids a story about Officer Steve Williams. Steve was a Pocatello police officer and champion body builder when he was tragically killed in a boating accident nine years ago. During one of his turns with the binki on that camping trip, a county sheriff visited our campsite. Steve was the first to rise from afternoon campfire circle and approach the vehicle. His denim shorts, tight tank top and chiseled muscles accentuated his swagger that surfaced with the appearance of a fellow officer.  Steve forgot he was wearing the bikini and our giggles and gasps didn’t even alert him.

Steve was one of the most dignified and proud people I’ve ever met. If HE could wear the binki, WE could wear the binki. A couple times early on, I exaggerated a whine to model owning up, laughing at myself, recognizing when I could change my attitude, and accepting consequences, but I’ve also been caught in plenty legitimate whines.


I wore the darn thing while I checked into a motel, got gas, asked for directions and picked up take out. Everyone whines sometimes, but our little vacation troop whined a whole lot less this week. Hopefully it’ll sustain until we return home and the kids remember summer vacation is almost over. What? Summer is almost over? Are you serious? But, but, but… Oh, give me the binki.

No comments:

Post a Comment