Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The Three-legged Step Turtle

My box turtle Myrtle turned 31 last week. I talk about Myrtle all the time, but I’ve also got another turtle whose story should be told. His name is Tripod. He’s missing a hind foot.

Tripod was a gift from my friend and former coach Alice Heberlein in about 1998. I don’t even remember the exact date or year, and as someone who remembers all sorts of birthdays, I feel terrible about that. I should feel terrible! What kind of mom am I?  I’ve grown up all my life hearing jokes and thin insults about being the red headed step child, but in my house it’s more like the three-legged step turtle.

I tried to track down the origins of the phrase “red headed step child” but the internet wasn’t all that helpful.  The expression is used to indicate a person or thing that is neglected, unwanted, or mistreated. Tripod is certainly none of those, but in all my talks of Myrtle, he might appear to be.

Wanting to cheer me up after a losing season, Coach Heberlein handed me a paper bag after a junior varsity volleyball tournament. I was the JV coach, and our final record was 4-21. I was a good player, but as far as coaching goes, the wins were scarce. My players had fun (I think), and they learned about teamwork, work ethic, and sportsmanship when you lose, but we didn’t get many lessons in sportsmanship when you win.

When the paper bag started to wiggle, I was so confused.  So were the girls and giggles ensued as I reached in and pulled out a wriggling reptile. We should probably have a quick lesson on how giving pets to someone may not be the best idea, especially a turtle, because with one at 31 and the other now 16 or 17 years old, the recipient is in for quite a commitment. Luckily Tripod has been a wonderful, spunky addition to the family.

Every year when August hits, I can’t help but recall my years in volleyball as a player, a coach and as a brand new mom to Tripod. Even though football is historically the sports powerhouse and fall is the season of cross country, soccer, and high school swimming, all of these sports were like a three legged step turtle to me.


As tryouts and seasons begin, I want to wish all athletes—aspiring and seasoned— in all sports the best of luck. We all know who won that race between the rabbit  and the turtle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment