Thursday, November 13, 2014

CAKE Deliver

When I was a college student, scanning the aisles of the Party Palace on Garrett Way with other members of the Idaho State Volleyball team, I never considered that choosing the silly cow suit would come into play like it did last week.

My friends were beautiful and fit and wanted to dress up like 1920’s flappers.  Flappers were known for short skirts, excessive makeup, and sporting cigarettes and heels.  While contemplating my discomfort showing that much skin and masquerading in such makeup, the packaged cow suit appeared before my eyes like a gift from heaven.

I wore it for Halloweens. I surprised friends with a cow-suited rendition of “Happy Birthday” on my trombone. I got another suit in ’97 to help raise money for an American Lung Association bike ride with my team called Cows Against Lung Failure (CALF), and the Cows for a Cure were born when we formed a team for the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life in 2005. Five years ago when our 15 year old team member Ryleigh Thomason died of leukemia, we became Ryleigh’s Herd.

I tell people about Ryleigh whenever anyone asks me about the cow costume or whenever I suit up for speaking engagements. I got to tell a bunch of fifth graders about Ryleigh a couple weeks ago.

Last July, I called the school district 25 office and had a terrific discussion with their spokesperson Shelley Allen about school culture, bullying, and character building. Our conversation dipped into funding challenges and schools’ abilities to provide counseling and mentoring services. We could have talked until the cows come home about the roles of parents and schools in the character development of students.

A few weeks later, Ms. Allen told me about District 25’s new CAKE award to recognize outstanding Character and Attitude and showing Kindness and Encouragement to others. She asked if I would be willing to present the award and deliver cupcakes to the student and their class in a cow suit. Me? In a cow suit? I’d love to!

I’m a cow who’s as human as the next guy and my character and attitude can fluctuate with the weather, but by golly, I try to be one of the good humans. Summoning kindness and encouragement at times when they are void can feel impossible, but it IS possible, and I sincerely believe it’s important to convey that to kids of all ages. My young friend Ryleigh would have been a prime candidate for the CAKE award before and during her fight with cancer.

I enjoyed meeting the first CAKE recipient, Jefferson Elementary’s Isabelle Kirkman, and I look forward to recognizing the rest of this year’s CAKE kids. With each class, I hope to celebrate, share a bit about Ryleigh and discus how a little kindness—apparently like a silly cow suit—can go a long way.


No comments:

Post a Comment