Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The Ugly Art of Neutrality

A few spring breaks ago, my former partner and I toured Washington DC with her teenage daughter. We met our congressmen Mike Crapo and Larry Craig in their offices. We toured the White House, the Capitol, Arlington Cemetery, the Holocaust Museum and the National Mall. We saw the World War II, Vietnam Veterans, Korean War Veterans, Lincoln, Jefferson and Einstein Memorials. The only time we sat still was during a showing of Ben Stiller’s “A Night at the Museum” at the actual Natural History Museum. We took our Christmas picture sitting around the Einstein statue, and with a dual nod to the scientist and the season, we captioned our card “Three Wise Women.” 

On our way home we discussed our favorite parts of the trip. Mine was the Lincoln Memorial at night because he was my mom’s favorite president.  My ex’s was either the cherry blossoms lining the Tidal Basin at the Jefferson Memorial or when her daughter asked Senator Craig if he collected elephants. (His office was adorned with dozens of them and the kid hadn’t immediately made the connection to the Republican Party symbol.) Her daughter’s favorite part was visiting the Holocaust Museum. When asked why, she said “the memorial was so beautiful but the holocaust was so ugly. That ugly will stay with me and remind me what can happen when I choose to do nothing.”  She lauded the mixture of learning about history but also how to shape the future. Smart kid, that one.
We bought a poster for our house in the gift shop of the Holocaust Museum.  Let that oxymoron sink in: the Holocaust gift shop.  They sell books, posters, magnets and other items advocating remembrance and equality. The 11x17 artwork depicted watercolor symbols for various causes including women’s rights, environmental preservation, AIDS education,  protecting wildlife, religious freedom, and civil rights. Of the poster’s 15 symbols, two pay homage to gay rights. (I don’t like the phrase “gay rights” and prefer “equal rights” but it aligns with the artist’s description of her work.)

Beneath the colorful swatches reads the following quote: The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality. – Dante
It’s easy to mistake a soft voice for neutrality. I think some have done that with me over the years, but I have never been neutral regarding equal rights. I have gone about my advocacy in a way that is true to me. I don’t think equality will come in shouting at society, churches and law makers about how persecuted I am, but rather in showing how equal I am. Or rather, how equal I can be when afforded the acceptance to coexist.

I say that, though, never having experienced traumas that others have. I’m sure there’s room to make me shout.
This week marks the one year anniversary of my coming out publically at a City Council meeting as well as my first column in the Journal. Happy Anniversary and cheers!

In my testimony last year supporting the non-discrimination ordinance I said, “I’ve never hidden or lied about my sexual orientation.  I’ve chosen not to talk about it. I’d describe myself as living in a large walk-in closet with a lot of Hawaiian shirts, Converse sneakers, and a half-dozen cow suits. It’s a closet with an open door with a welcome mat if you’d like to come in and get to know me. “
That’s still how I prefer to live and work and much remains the same although I’ve talked about it some and added a couple cow suits to the closet.

I talked a year ago about living in fear of losing jobs, friends, or housing opportunities, and while my fear has faded over time, it’s still prominent for many. Today, I fear that there is so much anger on both sides that discussion is becoming impossible.
Many in the LGBT community lead with an understandable but unfortunate anger. The harshest words I have ever encountered personally haven’t been from a fundamentalist Christian or angry right-winger, but rather from within one of my communities.

A militant bisexual woman years ago lectured me at a dinner party almost to the point of yelling about how I ought to be living my life “loud and proud” and what a disservice I was to the LGBT community for not being more vocal. I’m so much more than that. Why should that be my loudest voice? She criticized my patience with critics while testing my patience with her. I sat silent and stunned. I could feel my anger swell, but didn’t engage because there was nothing to gain.
Dante’s “hell” is harsh, but when anger or neutrality linger, an ugly stays.

No comments:

Post a Comment